5.10.2011

Hexagon Afghan

Mom, Catherine and I were wanting to give a gift to a friend for her birthday but were at a loss to know what to give until we thought of this. We thought it would be neat to give something that was made by all three of us and this was the perfect thing. We each made our own hexagons, we each helped weave in the ends, and I sewed it all together.

We have made multicolored afghans before but never have done anything like this so it was a little new to us but it was great fun!

 
I really like the hexagon shape, it so much more interesting than the normal square.

We had a hard time figuring out what colors to combine. We finally came out with these 10.
This was my spot for a couple days. Tea, morning sunshine, happy birds in the tree above me and a pile of yarn- love it!
Had to take a break in the shade.:)



The next day we had finished all of the hexagons so I spent most of that evening and following morning sewing the pieces together. We had a total of 48 hexagons which made a pretty nice size throw/lap blanket.
Sewing it all together was a breeze, except for when I found two pentagons instead of hexagons (my fault)! So I manipulated another side out of them as I sewed them together.



Finished!!





4 comments:

Alison said...

That's beautiful! I'm sure your friend will love it. I like how you took your crocheting outside.:) I used to knit in my brother's tree house. Your skirt is beautiful too!

Shannon said...

Oh, how beautiful! You and your Mother and Sister did a lovely job!
Thank you for sharing!

In Christ,
~Shannon~

Mrs.B said...

Shannon....You are right. The friend loves it! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful piece. I'm just getting more into crochet - I've never been great at it...but practice makes perfect. :) I love your piece.